Copper press fittings are fast becoming a go-to choice for many plumbing projects due to their quick installation, dependability, and adaptability. In this guide, we'll provide you with an easy step-by-step process for using copper press fittings, ensuring a solid and leak-free connection.
1. Assemble Your Supplies and Equipment
Before you begin, make sure you have the following materials and equipment ready:
- Copper press fittings
- Copper pipes (BS EN 1057)
- Press tool with suitable jaws for your fittings
- Pipe cutter
- Deburring tool
- Cleaning brush or emery cloth
2. Get the Copper Pipes Ready
- Measure and mark the required length of the pipe.
- Use a pipe cutter to cut the pipe flat to the marked length.
- Use a deburring tool to eliminate any burrs or sharp edges from the freshly cut end of the pipe.
- Clean the exterior of the pipe with a cleaning brush or emery cloth to remove any contaminants, grease, or oxidation.
3. Prepare the Copper Press Fittings
- Examine the fitting for any damage or defects.
- Inspect the O-ring inside the fitting for any signs of damage or wear.
- Confirm that the fitting is the appropriate size for the pipe you're using.
4. Assemble the Connection
- Slide the pipe into the fitting until it reaches the stop.
- Make sure the fitting is correctly aligned with the pipe.
- Use a marker to draw a line on the pipe at the edge of the fitting. This will help you ensure the fitting is crimped in the right place during pressing.
5. Secure the Connection
- Position the press tool jaws around the fitting, ensuring they're aligned correctly.
- Activate the press tool to crimp the fitting onto the pipe. The press tool will exert the necessary force to create a secure and leak-proof connection.
- Release the press tool jaws and remove the tool from the fitting.
6. Verify the System
- After installing all the fittings, test the system.
- Pressurise the system and inspect for any signs of leakage at the connections.
- If you detect any leaks, re-press the connection or replace the fitting as required.
Copper press fittings offer a fast and reliable method for joining copper pipes. By following these steps and using the appropriate tools, you can achieve a secure and leak-proof connection for your plumbing system.